MECHANICS FOR WONDER CHEF CANADA
WONDER CHEF CANADA (WCC) Culinary Showdown is a competition project of the in LECHON FEST (LF) with a mission to brand Philippine cuisine, recognize culinary skills of Filipino-Canadian amateur cooks and food enthusiasts, and bring greater awareness and appreciation of Filipino cuisine among the global community at large.
This event will showcase the cooking prowess and expertise of Filipino-American cooks and foodies. We hope that through WCC, we could encourage all residents in our community to actively support Filipino restaurants in the GTA and also boost participation from community organizations, business entities and other groups in this advocacy campaign.
WONDER CHEF CANADA will be held on Sept 2-3 at Wychwood Barns, from 3pm to 6pm.
The WONDER CHEF CANADA Mechanics:
The WCC is organized to heighten the consciousness and appreciation of Philippine cuisine. Also, to further elevate the quality of taste and presentation of Filipino dishes through a competition among amateur cooks, foodies and culinary enthusiasts.
The competition will feature one category: There will be a maximum of SEVEN (7) amateur contestants for the category who will compete for the title of WONDER CHEF CANADA:
• Contestants must be at least 18 years old, of Filipino descent and legal residents of the Canada at the date of contest entry.
• Amateur contestants must NOT be professional chefs as defined below (See definition of professional chef), must not own or engage in food business that is licensed or accredited by a local government agency. For clarity, Amateur contestants may not be employed in any restaurant as a chef, line cook or cook of any capacity; however he/she may be a caterer as a hobby and not be paid for catering as a primary source of income.
• Each contestant must appear in person. No proxy will be allowed.
• Each contestant shall provide a short biography, the recipe and/or menu, and if available, a photo of the entry dish(es) to email@example.com.
(B) General Rules and Guidelines
• The entrée recipe will represent any of the following traditional style Filipino dishes:
Kare-kare, Escabeche, Caldereta, Menudo, Afritada, Pochero, Pinakbet, Sisig, Laing.
• Additional dishes may be submitted subject to approval of the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee.
• To ensure diversity and an enjoyable gastronomic feast, no two contestants will make the same dish.
• Contestants are allowed to modify the recipe according to his/her own personal style or liking, provided that the entire look and taste of the said dish would still hold semblance with how it is done and cooked traditionally.
• Contestants are required to submit the recipe of their chosen entry dish.
• Each featured Filipino entrée must have the ingredients of at least two (2) Filipino brands.
• No cooking onsite will be allowed during the competition proper.
• Entry dishes must be cooked prior to arriving at the venue.
• Each contestant must ensure that the entry dish that they will prepare and bring for the competition will be enough for 30 people who will taste and judge the dishes. Small servings of the dishes to taste (small sample size container) will be made and given to the attendee-judges.
• Aside from the food that will be served to the people, contestants should also prepare a dish (for display purposes only) during the competition. Light preparation and plate décor for the presentation is permitted.
• The attendee-judges will line up and receive small portions of the entry dishes placed in uniform plates or containers for them to taste. Once they are able to taste all entry dishes, they will vote for their favorite dish, based on overall taste and presentation.
• To ensure fairness and objectivity, names of the contestants and their respective entry dishes should not be revealed by the contestants themselves and the organizers before and during the competition. Labels will be made for each dish to aid the people in voting for their favorite dish. The cooks of the dishes with the most number of votes (1st, 2nd and 3rd) will be declared as WONDER CHEF CANADA and two runners up.
• Procurement of recipe ingredients is the responsibility of the contestants. In case the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee is able to get food suppliers as sponsors, contestants will be given gift certificates; and ingredients will be purchased from sponsoring stores.
• Otherwise, contestants shall buy their own ingredients and the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee will reimburse the contestant up to a maximum of $100 to defray expenses in food ingredients used upon submission of receipts to the Committee.
• Each contestant must be presentable and in proper attire.
• The LECHON FEST (LF) Committee will provide the following:
o Warming equipment (if necessary and subject to availability)
o Table signage with name of dish, and labeling materials for entrees.
• Contestants are NOT allowed to bring small appliances (such as food processors, immersion blenders, or blow torches).
• Contestants are required to store their entry dishes in sealed containers to avoid contamination. Proper transportation procedures and standards should also be observed to avoid contamination and spoilage.
• Each contestant is responsible in setting up & cleaning one’s display station. Each contestant must provide his/her own handcart for transporting his/ her entry dish and supplies to the venue. He/she is also responsible in cleaning any kind of waste/spillage during the competition.
• Contestants will be disqualified if they do not present their entrée in person at the designated time given by the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee No substitute and other assistance is allowed.
• Each contestant must comply with all food safety guidelines. For more details, please refer to http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
• By entering this competition, contestants grant permission to the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee and its partners and sponsors of the event to publish and/or use in any way the materials submitted, including the recipes and names and photos of competitors.
• The LECHON FEST (LF) Committee, Partners and Participating Sponsors shall not be liable or responsible for personal injury, or loss, or broken equipment and supplies brought by the contestants as indicated in the Participation Entry Form.
(C) Awards and prizes for the WONDER CHEF CANADA (WCC) Culinary Showdown Following are the prizes at stake for winners of the competition:
• WONDER CHEF CANADA: TRIP TP ICELAND FOR 2
• First Runner-up : One (1) GIFT BASKET
• Second Runner-up : One (1) GIFT BASKET
• (*Note: The Kulinarya Steering Committee will select the month and date of the trip and hotel )
All contestants will receive a Certificate of Appreciation from the LECHON FEST (LF) Committee