The Toronto Lechon Fiesta 2017 is a grand and colourful event that will bring the traditional Filipino Fiesta to the area in ways that will transport the visitor to the Philippines. It will be a showcase of Filipino culture that aims to strengthen the ties that bind Filipino-Canadians with the whole community.
The centerpiece of the fiesta, the “star of the show”, so to speak, will be the lechon in several forms – from whole roast pig to lechon manok and the humble yet succulent lechon kawali. Competitions involving various preparations of the dish will be held, along with cooking demonstrations, folk dances, arts and music.
Lechon, that succulent roast pig famously endorsed by author/food writer and chef/TV personality Anthony Bourdain as being “the best pig ever”, is undoubtedly one of the enduring Filipino cuisine favourites. A staple of fiestas and other special occasions, the presence of a golden-crisp, coal-roasted pig with an apple stuffed into its mouth completes family and community gatherings.
While the term “lechon” originally refers to roasted suckling pig, in the Philippines, the word has been used to describe chicken or whole cows cooked the same way. In fact, another popular lechon dish is the”lechon manok”, or roast chicken. And then there is the “lechon kawali”, a deep fried pork dish that evokes the taste and crispness of lechon.
A lechon festival featuring lechon in all its forms celebrates the unique dimensions of this famous dish while evoking memories of home for thousands of Filipino-Canadians who live in the area. It will also bring the sights, sounds, and tastes of the Filipino culture to the Toronto community in a way that only Filipinos can.
1. To bring the Toronto community together in a grand celebration of culture, food and fellowship;
2. To bolster involvement of various stakeholders in the community through opportunities for volunteerism and participation in different activities related to the event;
3. To foster pride in the Filipino culture while successfully adapting to and assimilating the culture of Canada;
4. To showcase lechon as being more than just “a whole roasted pig.”
5. To promote tourism and local business.
Artscape Wychwood Barns
601 Christie St, Toronto, ON M6G 4C7